A thorough dental examination is important for the ongoing health of your teeth and gums. We can address any problems and treat them before it gets worse and help you to take care of your teeth better. Here are some of the things we consider in a dental examination:
- A complete medical and dental history so we are aware about any health conditions that may affect the success of dental treatments or procedures and that may be associated with oral health problems.
- The shape and position of the lips and jaw are noted.
- Evaluation of the health and function of the jaw joint.
- Check the tongue, roof of your mouth and inside the cheeks – this is an important check for any signs which may be suspicious of oral cancer. If anything is noticed, it will be discussed with you in detail.
- Check the condition and health of the gums – look for signs of inflammation or gum disease.
- Look for signs of tooth wear which may be the result of tooth clenching/grinding, acidic drinks or changes in the bite causing pressure to any particular teeth